An ongoing Syracuse, New York court case shows why AED program management is so important for any organization required by law to have automated external defibrillators on their premises.
According to a story written by Richard Lazar of Readiness Systems on the Sudden Cardiac Arrest Foundation website, a suit brought against a Syracuse health club claims that “two non-working AEDs…led to a member’s sudden cardiac death.” One of the devices involved had no battery, the other had a dead battery.
The case cites the fitness club as well as the device manufacturers, and is early in the litigation process.
The Foundation’s article makes an excellent point about how an AED management program is paramount to helping businesses and organizations avoid these kinds of potential issues:
“There are a variety of reasons why AED programs fail. Equipment maintenance is certainly one of those reasons. This potential point-of-failure is one that can be easily prevented with the right tools and a trusted AED program services partner. A trusted partner can also help reduce risks by ensuring proper AED law compliance.”
Just like other sophisticated pieces of equipment, an AED takes some care and maintenance to ensure proper functionality. An AED program can help keep devices in good working order, with scheduled battery checks and training reminders so that everyone required to have knowledge of its use is ready to respond in an emergency.
If your organization is required to have these easy-to-use lifesaving devices at your facilities, please download our “Five Keys to Long-Term Success for Workplace Automated External Defibrillator (AED) Programs” e-book to learn more about what your AED program should include.
If you do not currently have an AED program management system in place, give us a call at 800.447.3177 and speak with one of our AED program management service experts.
For more about the growing use of AEDs in fitness clubs, see our previous blog posts:
Fitness Center Team Saves Patron with CPR, AED
Good Timing and Good Training at L.A. Gym Saves a Life
Gonzaga Student SCA Save by Fitness Center Staffers